Find your next opportunity now!
Directional Drill Operator/Locator - Akron, OH
Akron, OH 44302 US
NEEDS SOMEONE BY 11/6
About the Role
Our team of OSP Technicians collaborates directly with both employees and subcontractors to bring outside plant projects to fruition. Upholding the company's mission and core beliefs is paramount for all team members. In this elevated role, your responsibilities extend beyond general labor for underground construction projects, ensuring adherence to safety and quality standards.
What You'll Do
- Conduct construction telecommunications installations, which include operating power tools and assisting in trench excavation and refilling.
- Identify, pothole, and confirm utilities to mitigate installation risks.
- Install underground structures, such as handholes and manholes.
- Participate in safety meetings and ensure all tasks are performed under prescribed safety procedures using the necessary safety equipment.
- Facilitate the restoration of both hard and soft surface work areas.
- Support in various manual labor facets of the project as guided by the crew leader or supervisor.
- Collaborate with crew members when installing underground cables and conduits.
- Manage the loading and unloading of tools, materials, and equipment and assist with their upkeep.
- Interpret and execute construction based on design schematics or maps.
- Operate horizontal directional drills and/or locators for underground conduit installation.
- Confirm utility locations to maintain safety concerning public and other underground facilities.
- Review blueprints/job plans, ensuring ongoing work aligns with quality specifications.
- Undertake routine maintenance tasks like greasing, oiling, and minor repairs on equipment.
- Prepare the right mixture of water and chemicals for boring, taking the drilling ground into account.
- Ensure tasks are executed under prescribed safety protocols using the correct safety equipment.
- Execute trenching, duct placement, cable pulling, and direct bury main lines and drops when necessary.
- Oversee the preparation and restoration of work sites, managing both traffic and pedestrian movement.
- Maintain efficient communication within the team.
- Handle any other duties as assigned.
Do You Have The Following?
- Experience in outdoor construction, excavation, and landscaping is advantageous.
- Familiarity with the methodology, tools, and safety precautions related to underground telecommunication infrastructure installation.
- Demonstrated experience in operating construction equipment.
- Proficiency in working under fast-paced, high-volume conditions.
- Aptitude for reading and comprehending maps, drawings, and diagrams.
- A hands-on approach with a consistent record of maintaining high quality in work.
- An eye for detail, coupled with a proactive problem-solving attitude.
- At least one year of direct experience, inclusive of telecommunications construction, and specifically with directional drilling and locating within a drill crew. Familiarity with various drill types/sizes is a bonus.
- Ability to self-motivate and communicate effectively within a team.
- An inherent problem-solving spirit, aiming to craft solutions and achieve set objectives.
- An unwavering work ethic complemented by commendable communication skills and a positive demeanor.
- A valid driver's license with the potential to secure a CDL Class A license.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
- Ability to maintain posture like standing, kneeling, and crouching for prolonged periods, scale ladders, and lift items weighing up to 85 pounds.
- Resilience to work in diverse conditions: non-climate-controlled spaces, under adverse weather, and standing or driving for extended durations.
- Physical prowess, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina to accomplish tasks across various terrains.
- Willingness for extensive travel (up to 100%) across multiple markets.
- Company-Provided Uniforms: Uniforms are provided to all employees to maintain a professional appearance and comply with safety standards.
- Health Reimbursement Account Contribution: The company makes a substantial contribution to a Health Reimbursement Account to support employee health and wellness.
- Meal Per Diem: A daily meal allowance is provided during work-related travel to cover meal expenses.
- Paid Holidays: The company observes six paid holidays, allowing employees to spend time with family and friends while recognizing national and cultural celebrations.
- Paid Time Off Policy: A comprehensive Paid Time Off (PTO) policy is provided to enable work-life balance.
- Technology Provision: Employees are furnished, as required by project, with a company-provided laptop, tablet, and smartphone to facilitate efficient work processes.
- Travel Accommodation Coverage: The company covers hotel expenses incurred during work-related travel.
We are industry experts first, staffing second. Helping our partners achieve their goals and helping people find awesome jobs is our number one priority
Craig Fleming, Senior Vice President of Sales