Find your next opportunity now!
Fiber Splicing Technician - Akron, OH
Bedford, OH US
The Fiber Splicing Technician III is a seasoned professional primarily tasked with executing high-precision fiber optic splicing across various settings. As a general contractor, the client has a vital role in the initial installation and ongoing maintenance of customer networks. As a senior technician, you will also be instrumental in training and mentoring new and less experienced technicians, sharing your expertise and guiding them toward mastering the technical skills required in the field.
What You'll Do
- Fiber Splicing Expertise & Execution: Perform fiber splicing tasks in diverse environments, including underground OSP splice locations, aerial OSP splice locations from ladders and bucket trucks, and in-building splicing. Ensure all splicing projects adhere to industry standards and company guidelines, delivering high-quality and reliable connectivity.
- Testing & Troubleshooting: Conduct thorough fiber testing using advanced equipment such as OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer), power meters, and light sources to ensure optimal signal quality and integrity. Utilize troubleshooting skills to identify and rectify any issues promptly.
- Coax Splicing & Testing: Perform coax splicing tasks as required by specific projects, ensuring adherence to both industry standards and company guidelines. Conduct testing on coaxial connections using appropriate testing equipment to ensure optimal signal quality and integrity, addressing and rectifying any issues promptly.
- Training & Mentoring: Lead training and mentoring sessions for new and less experienced technicians, sharing best practices, standards, and techniques in fiber and coax splicing.
- Safety & Compliance: Adhere to all safety protocols and procedures, ensuring a safe and compliant work environment. Conduct regular safety audits and ensure compliance with company and regulatory procedures.
- Documentation & Reporting: Maintain accurate and up-to-date documentation for all splicing projects, including schematics, testing results, and as-built drawings. Submit regular reports on project progress, quality assurance, and training initiatives.
- Communication & Coordination: Regularly update both internal teams and external stakeholders on the status and progress of ongoing projects. Address and resolve any conflicts among team members and ensure smooth coordination across all project phases.
- Continuous Improvement: Stay updated with the latest industry developments, tools, and technologies to ensure continuous improvement and innovation in the splicing domain.
- All other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- This role requires working in various outdoor and indoor settings involving aerial and underground operations.
- Travel to different job sites is a standard part of the work, with company provisions for travel accommodation and meal per diems. Willingness to travel extensively (up to 100%) is required.
- Some projects will require overnight and weekend work.
- Capable of standing, kneeling, and crouching for extended periods, climbing ladders, and lifting up to 85 pounds.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions is essential for success in this role.
- Exceptional technical communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A minimum of three years of experience in fiber splicing, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Comfortable working in a self-directed work group and adept at communicating effectively with team members.
- High attention to detail and the ability to analyze problems, prioritize tasks, and lead decision-making processes.
- Strong organizational skills and effective time management abilities.
- Relevant certifications in fiber and coax splicing are an advantage.
- Quality and accuracy of fiber and coax splicing tasks.
- Timely completion of projects and adherence to schedules.
- Effective training and mentoring of new technicians, as measured by their skill acquisition and performance improvement.
- Compliance with safety standards and protocols.
- Accuracy and completeness of documentation and reporting.
- Company-Provided Uniforms: Uniforms are provided to all employees to maintain a professional appearance and comply with safety standards.
- Health Reimbursement Account Contribution: The company makes a substantial contribution to a Health Reimbursement Account to support employee health and wellness.
- Meal Per Diem: A daily meal allowance is provided during work-related travel to cover meal expenses.
- Paid Holidays: The company observes six paid holidays, allowing employees to spend time with family and friends while recognizing national and cultural celebrations.
- Paid Time Off Policy: A comprehensive Paid Time Off (PTO) policy is provided to enable work-life balance.
- Technology Provision: Employees are furnished, as required by project, with a company-provided laptop, tablet, and smartphone to facilitate efficient work processes.
- Travel Accommodation Coverage: The company covers hotel expenses incurred during work-related travel.
We are industry experts first, staffing second. Helping our partners achieve their goals and helping people find awesome jobs is our number one priority
Craig Fleming, Senior Vice President of Sales